%cpu differences between sar and top

ESGLinux esggrupos at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 18:02:41 UTC 2009

Hi Adam,

I have done what you say with the 1 key but I think that is not the
problem,
with the command:

sar  -P ALL
it shows me the cpu of the cores independently and it never gets a 99% of
cpu in the cores but with top it does:

How do you interpret this from the top man page?:

*%CPU --* CPU usageThe task's share of the elapsed CPU time since the last
screen update, expressed as a percentage of total CPU time. In a true SMP
environment, if 'Irix mode' is *Off*, top will operate in 'Solaris mode'
where a task's cpu usage will be divided by the total number of CPUs. You
toggle 'Irix/Solaris' modes with the 'I' interactive command.

BTW, I think that in Solaris mode the cpu is the average cpu that shows top
in the header,

Greetings

ESG