Trouble using wireless

Margaret Doll Margaret_Doll at Brown.EDU
Mon Nov 16 15:48:20 UTC 2009

My friend has  a 2.4.21-15EL OS and a RedHat contract.  He would like
routinely add the updates to his computer from home.  However, he is
having trouble connecting to his wireless network.

He has a USB wireless, Linksys connection.

"I tried using the linux wireless tools which I got on the
web.
   First ifrename, then ifup, then I tried using the script
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-wireless

I would usually get something like:

eth0:  no wireless detected.

/sbin/ifup and ifrename require a configureation file : /etc/ifcfg (or
something like
that)
   so I set it up with
                       eth1   mac <mac address of wireless device>

I also tried using the Internet Configuration Wizard from the system
tools.

  There is something called ndiswrappers which allows you to "wrap"
the windows driver for the device in a linux script but I think
you need to have kernel 2.6 in order to build that.
Thanks for assisting on this matter,"