configuration ntp on all servers

hike mh1272 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 12:40:06 UTC 2009

the man page for ntp is fairly description and the internet is full of ntp
instructions, how-tos, etc.

the ntpd demon can be stopped and started by hand and does not require a
reboot.
the applications should not notice it; they typically use whatever time is
given when they request the time.

the issue that you may face is that your different servers have different
times.
this may or may not be an issue.  (it was a one place that i have worked.)

the date command can be use to explicitly change the time on a server.
the man page gives the details.

both the date command and the ntpd process don't disrupt properly
functioning servers.
both require minimal resources.