configuration ntp on all servers

Stainforth, Matthew (SD/DS) Matthew.Stainforth at gnb.ca
Thu Nov 19 13:03:00 UTC 2009

> > What happens to the logs if they suddenly tell you that you have to
> go
> > to the past?
> >
> > That is my question.
>
> An hour off is pretty serious. If it's really that bad, you have a
> problem.
> Least intrusive: jump it at 02:00, or jump it in maybe five minute
> intervals
> once or twice a day. I'd lean towards the former.

That could be even worse.  My biggest concern would be the effect on redo logs.  I don't know how oracle handles time jumps into the past but my fear would be if you ever had to apply those redo logs then they could be applied in the wrong order so recovery from backup would be impossible for any time span that contained a backward jump.

I agree with Rob Marti, check with the DBAs to see if the operation is safe but my guess is they'll say no.  If it were me, I would schedule an outage to bring the time back to normal and then enable NTP.

Matt