yum going to sleep in the background?

Paul jpb at entel.ca
Wed Oct 7 19:26:56 UTC 2009

m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> Paul wrote:
>>
>>> I have a weird thing happening with yum since yesterday, or possibly
>>> since the last update, which iirc included yum-updatesd.
>>>
>>> When I do a "yum update", after I confirm that I want the updates to be
>>> installed, yum goes to sleep in the background and does not perform the
>>> updates.
>>>
> <snip>
>
>>> I've never had this happen before, on any server, ever.
>>>
>>> What's going on here? How do I get it to just do the update and be done
>>> with?
>>>

>> I tried to update just the kernel (yum update kernel*), and after
>> sitting for a long time it puked up this:
>>
>> Error Downloading Packages:
>>   kernel-2.6.18-164.2.1.el5.x86_64: failed to retrieve
>> getPackage/kenel-2.6.18-164.2.2.el5.x86_64.rpm from rhel-x86_64-server-5
>> error was [Errno 12] Timeout: <urlopen error >
>>
> <snip>
> Dunno if this was solved yet, but I noticed two things, and had a quirky
> idea: I see you're Canadian... could you have had the French CentOS mirror
> as your primary, and the hardware crash happened in the middle of your
> transfer?
>
>       mark

Anything is possible, but I am configured for us-en, we don't have much
call for French on the west coast, as far from Quebec as you can get and
still say you are in Canada.

On my RHEL5.3 boxes, I have had to disable Location-Aware update access,
due to the way our Layer 2 VLANs are configured.

--

Paul