RHEL3: iowait and idle output swapped(?) in top

Lord of Gore lordofgore at logsoftgrup.ro
Wed Oct 21 10:53:15 UTC 2009

Hy Mike,

yes I did. It was not that specific setup, in my case it concerned a
mail server - sendmail - where I had 10% cpu time and the load average
went to 15 ...
You cand find bottlenecks in the network. Clearly if this is the
situation you have enough processing power but the data is coming too
slow for the processes.
This could be due to faulty or under capacitated hardware but also
misconfigured software.
Of course given the complexity of the problem and the lack of info on my
side it is hard to pinpoint exactly where the problem is ...
You could start if it is not a very big problem to stop services one by
one and see if the load average drops. If not then you should focus on
the SAN ...

Bogdan Dumitrache
http://www.logsoftgrup.ro