Need a compressed file system temporarily

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Wed Oct 7 04:48:28 UTC 2009

On 06Oct2009 08:14, Yong Huang <yong321 at yahoo.com> wrote:
| I have RHEL 4 or 5 with standard installation. I need a compressed file
| system temporarily to store an Oracle data pump export file. What's the
| easiest solution? Oracle data pump does not support a sequential device
| as its output so I can't pipe the output to gzip or compress.

Does it actually do random I/O to the dump file, or does it simply
require you to specify a filename with no _convenient_ pipe output
syntax?

If it is only an invocation issue, thus:

  oracle-data-pump-command filename

you may be able to check and use a named pipe:

  mknod p foo
  gzip <foo >foo.gz &
  oracle-data-pump-command foo

| Creating
| the dump file on an internally compressed file system is the best I can
| think of. Thanks.

It is a good idea.
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/