Using Active Directory on Windows 2008 server to authenticate linux users?

Kenneth Holter kenneho.ndu at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 14:50:51 UTC 2009

Hi.

For a while now we've been working on integrating Red Hat Directory Server
(RHDS) with Active Directory on Windows 2003 server. What we're working on
is syncing users and groups from AD over to RHDS, and using these AD groups
to populate corresponding netgroups so that we can control which users are
allowed to log into which groups of servers. The netgroups are also used for
controlling the users' sudo access to our servers. In other words, we use AD
groups to populate access- and sudo-related netgroups on the RHDS side. Our
aim it to control access, and maybe even sudo, from the AD side.

Our organization have recently upgraded to Windows 2008 server, and I was
told that this version is posix aware. So I'm wondering if maybe we can
maintain all this posix and netgroup info on the AD side, instead of syncing
info over to RHDS and having scripts that populate the netgroups.

Have anyone else here looked into using Windows 2008 server for linux
authentication, and have some input on how suitable it is for controlling
access and sudo for a linux environment?

Best regards,
Kenneth Holter