Help! Red hat doesn't recognize any usernames!

Anne Moore diabeticithink at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 8 13:51:14 UTC 2009

Hi Rajiv,

It's Red Hat Enterprise 4, and it's local Authentication. (No Ldap.) It's
bizarre, really.

After it crashed, it came up, but doesn't recognize any usernames at all. I
did a repair, and looked at the /etc/passwd file and it was fine. It seems
the system cannot read from the file. I checked permissions, reset them, on
that and the shadow file, and still, the system cannot recognize logons.

Is there a daemon that is used for this that may not be starting up?

Thanks

Anne