Exact syntax and examples for iptables

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Fri Sep 18 13:11:10 UTC 2009

> I can't even start it up as the previous admin hardened it
> (but not sure how / where he hardened it)

I think you're not understanding "hardening". Hardening is when you turn
off unused services, close unnecessary ports, change permissions, and
disallow setuid where possible.

Now, did the previous admin fire up selinux, and not do it correctly? You
can easily check by issuing the command:
getenforce
which will tell you if selinux is enforcing, permissive, or disabled. If
it's the first, it's a major pain.

But definitely look at the logfiles to find out *why* IPTABLES isn't
starting up.

> So despite tt I do
> service iptables start,
> "service iptables status" still show "Firewall is stopped"

Try
chkconfig --list | grep iptables

and see if it's set up to come on with service.
<snip>
               mark