Linux system administration methodology or best practice

Kenneth Holter kenneho.ndu at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 11:10:46 UTC 2009

Regarding migrating from sandbox to production: The way we've implemented
this on our Satellite server is like this:

   1. A (security) update is automatically downloaded from RHN to our
   Satellite server
   2. We decide wether this update is relevant to our systems. If yes, we
   clone it into our "cloned channel" (i.e. "private channel", see below) for
   systems in the test environment.
   3. If the update is approved we clone it to the cloned channel for qass
   systems.
   4. If approved, we clone it to the cloned channel for production systems

A cloned channel may contain anything you want it to, but in our case we
have simply cloned (i.e. copied) all the packages for RHEL 5 into another
channel. Let's call this "RHEL5-sandbox-channel". Since we manually have to
clone updates into this channel, we gain full control over its contents.
When updates are approved we clone it to "RHEL5-preprod", and so forth.

You really don't _need_ the Satellite server to do this, although we find it
very useful for this sort of things.