LVM Name Changed?

George Magklaras georgios at biotek.uio.no
Wed Sep 9 12:23:24 UTC 2009

What can you see under the /dev/mapper directory? I recall seeing this
issue with a similar hardware config and the advice was to upgrade to
the latest release due to some issues with LVM. The problem however was
that there was fs corruption (changing manually the fstab entry did not
mount the fs in a clean way). Can you mount root on the system disk if
you change the fstab to /dev/vg0/root ?

GM

Richardson, Joshua A. wrote:
> I have a chassis IBM JS22 blades running RHEL 5.2 with a kernel.org
> kernel of 2.6.29.4 and over the long weekend, we apparently took a power
> hit in the lab.  I came back in this morning to find over half of them
> dropping me into maintenance mode during boot.  After several hours of
> screwing around trying to diagnose the problem, I realized that somehow
> the LVM names had changed on these particular machines from
> /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 and LogVol01 to /dev/vg0/root and swap002.  Has
> anyone ever seen anything like this and if so, do you know why it
> happened?  Thanks!
>
> Joshua A. Richardson
> General Dynamics AIS
> Principal  Systems Engineer
> Systems Administrator
> Office: 703-272-1761
> Cell: 540-383-9093

George Magklaras BSc Hons MPhil
RHCE:805008309135525

Senior Computer Systems Engineer/UNIX-Linux Systems Administrator
EMBnet Technical Management Board
The Biotechnology Centre of Oslo,
University of Oslo
http://folk.uio.no/georgios