CentOS and wireless, oh my

Jose R R jose.r.r at metztli.com
Wed Sep 9 14:21:45 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 6:28 PM, <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
> So, at home, I'm finally going up from opensuse 10.3 to CentOS 5.3. With
> opensuse 10.3, two years old, yast had utterly no trouble configuring my
> wireless card, with the madwifi driver, and handling WPA.
[...]
> Clues for the incredibly irritated?

Well, only a suggestion.  You may want to dual boot with Fedora 11
--being bleeding edge,it may recognize appropriately (and provide
support for) your wireless card.  Subsequently you may use the
relevant configuration on your CentOS distro (just make sure *not* to
format Fedora 11 partition with ext4 so that you may mount it under
CentOS for analysis).

I have found that Debian and Ubuntu have also very good wireless
support. However, needless to say, Fedora 11 will likely be closer in
file/resource structure to CentOS.

--
Jose R R
http://www.metztli-it.com