CentOS and wireless, oh my

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Wed Sep 9 16:49:51 UTC 2009

> On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 6:28 PM, <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
>> So, at home, I'm finally going up from opensuse 10.3 to CentOS 5.3. With
>> opensuse 10.3, two years old, yast had utterly no trouble configuring my
>> wireless card, with the madwifi driver, and handling WPA.
> [...]
>>
>> Clues for the incredibly irritated?
>>
> Well, only a suggestion.  You may want to dual boot with Fedora 11
> --being bleeding edge,it may recognize appropriately (and provide

*sigh*
When I go home from working as a sysadmin, I do NOT want to debug the o/s.
I never went to fedora when RedHat went to that and RHEL.

> support for) your wireless card.  Subsequently you may use the

Why should I need bleeding edge? As I said, opensuse 10.3, two or more
years old *(they're over 11.0 now), using YAST2, I had absolutely trouble
configuring the 3.5+ year old card to use WPA, which is why I'm confused
that I need to run, manually, another daemon (wpa_supplicant), and then go
through all this mess.
<snip>

And does anyone have any clue where I can find the rpm that provides
ath5k_pci?

        mark