CentOS and wireless, oh my

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Wed Sep 9 21:59:55 UTC 2009

Scott,

> Did you review the CentOS wiki on this?
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/Wireless

*sigh*

It's a tower, and a card, not a laptop. But what *REALLY* aggravates me is
them telling you to use yum to pull down madwifi... OFF THE NET THAT YOU
CAN'T GET ON....

> It might be a firmware update required.

Again, I don't see why - as I said, 2+ yr old opensuse had no trouble with
the card, and setting it up to use with WPA. SuSE 10, the beginning of
'06, had no trouble with WEP, and the same card.

I'm getting the feeling that there's no good configuration tool for
wireless in CentOS (or RH), and that they don't have all the drivers on
the DVD....

       mark "playing sneakernet from work, or his daughter's machine"