upgrade php4 to php5

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Thu Sep 10 15:12:33 UTC 2009

> how can i upgrade my php4 to php5?
<snip>
I *think* that when you build it, you can tell it where to put it. My
preferred method is:
  a: install it in /usr/local/php-<release>
  b: ln -s /usr/local/php-<release> /usr/local/php
  c: all other references, such as in /usr/bin, or /usr/local/bin,
       etc, should be links to /usr/local/php/<whatever>

This way, even going up a subrelease is fairly easy, as is emergency
fallback.

After doing that, if you don't already have one, set up a test virtual
host, and point it to the new php environment, so you can make sure
nothing broke, before making it live.

       mark