resize Volumegroup

Geofrey Rainey Geofrey.Rainey at tvnz.co.nz
Tue Sep 15 17:50:58 UTC 2009

Firstly try to resize your filesystems:

Resize2fs (specify the size of both to be 10G) - it will work if it can,
else the command will fail and leave your filesystem intact.

Then shrink the lv to the size you specified for your filesystem, or
perhaps
A little bigger is safer.

Then create new logical volumes as the reclaimed space should now be
part of you volume group, check with vgdisplay and look at free extents.

Now create your new logical volumes with lvcreate

add a filesystem using mke2fs, create your mount points, mount the
filesystems.

You might have to go into single user mode for things like /usr because
you'll have to copy all the data to the new location and unmount it and
remount the new lv on /usr. Understand?