Red Hat subscription agreement questions

hike mh1272 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 12:21:45 UTC 2009

every machine that runs red hat enterprise linux requires a subscription
from red hat.
even servers receiving updates through a satellite/update server.
even servers not receiving updates at all.

that is what red hat teaches in their training classes and that is my
understanding.

if you do not want to purchase subscriptions, you have several options.
   remove the red hat copyrighted packages
   change operating systems--centos is one of several rhel-type
distributions

if you are certified by red hat, you risk losing your certification by not
complying with the licensing agreements.
if your company is asking you to push updates to servers not under
subscription, you are violating the contract with red hat and the terms of
your certification.  that is, this is, at the least, an unethical request.
(i know managements asks sysadmins to do this frequently.  it is wrong.  i
don't do this.)

there are several levels of subscription and support.
there is/was a development license for servers that are actually development
servers.
the last that i heard, it was very inexpensive.