problem with S11 forwarding using ssh

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Wed Apr 7 00:59:55 UTC 2010

On 06Apr2010 15:36, Tangren, Bill <bill.tangren at usno.navy.mil> wrote:
| > > I am trying to ssh from a Mac OS client to a RHEL 4 server, fully
| > > patched. It
| > > appears that doing an "ssh -X" no longer works, while "ssh" alone
| > does.
| > > This
| > > is the debug info...
| > <snip snip>
| >
| > Have you upgraded to 10.6.3?
|
| No, 10.5.8.
|
| Hmmm... There was an OS update recently. I dug into the logs on the Mac
| and found this:
|
|    Library not loaded: /usr/X11/lib/libpixman-1.0.dylib
|    Referenced from:
| /Applications/Utilities/X11.app/Contents/MacOS/X11.bin
|    Reason: Incompatible library version: X11.bin requires version 15.0.0
| or later, but libpixman-1.0.dylib provides version 13.0.0
|
| I wonder if the problem is actually on the Mac, and not the server, as I
| had assumed.

Well, if X11 isn't working, -X won't either:-)
FYI, I can ssh from the MacOSX 10.5 G4 mac I'm typing on right now,
so I agree the above suggests X11 is unwell. Do local X11 clients work
(eg xlock, xterm)?

I'm running the new 2.5.0 X11 distro though, not the X11 from Apple's
software updates.

Also, "ssh -Y" is preferred these days - it does some magic with the
xauth tokens to prevent the far server learning your local server's
tokens.

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

I die. Before I die my body turns hair-side-in. People come from everywhere to
see the insides of themselves. But the sight makes them lose the will, and all
die. O the embarrassment.       - Joe Haldeman, _A !Tangled Web_