On-the-fly throttle of CPU consumption of a process

sunhux G sunhux at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 15:04:34 UTC 2010

Thanks Dave, I'm aware of "renice" when I mentioned "nice" in the
first post but "renice" is probably not what I'm looking for because
when no other processes need the CPU, this reniced CPU hungry
process would still chew up all the CPU, resulting in the frequent
alerts I'm getting.

Cameron's stutter script of staggering between
  "kill -SIGSTOP pid"
  "kill -SIGCONT pid"
would meet my requirement for other UNIX (HP-UX etc) platforms
as well; due to corporate approval processes, I haven't got a chance
to test it on HP-UX yet to see if the Websphere & Weblogic
processes cope well and with smaller intervals, hopefully it's not
noticeable to users.

Thanks
Sun