Samba server: Sharing files with Windows clients

Blackburn, Marvin mblackburn at glenraven.com
Fri Apr 16 12:42:41 UTC 2010

We are working on something very similar to this.  I had the same type
of questions.
Since we had a very limited rollout, I really didn't want to add my
Linux-cifs server to the domain because I wasn't sure of the
consequences (both technically and politically), so we just do
authentication locally -- this requires the user to have a
username/password on the server and does not involve AD.

I'll be glad to share my smb.conf file.  I'm still working out some
messages in the /var/log/messages file, but it looks as if its working
to some extent.  We are in the testing phase.