Samba server: Sharing files with Windows clients

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Mon Apr 19 14:10:19 UTC 2010

> On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 12:02:47PM +0200, Kenneth Holter wrote:
>> I would very much appreaciate it if you shared your smb.conf file.
>> Perhaps you could paste it in here in this thread?
>
> Another option I'd suggest is to install Webmin and use it to configure
> Samba.  Then go look at the resultant configuration files to really
> understand what it was doing.
>
> Webmin is a good tool for (a) those who don't care about *how* things
> are done "under the sheets", but just want a working server, and (b)
> those who want to know what's going on, but don't have the time to work
> through all the steps needed to get to a working config, or are stuck.
> I'm assuming you fit in the latter group.

I'll agree with Dave. (Hi, guy!) When I was fighting openLDAP about 3.5
years ago, it was a real lifesaver, esp. given their lack of tools, and
valid documentation.... After I'd gotten it working, I then usually went
to the config files.

Webmin is one of the better packages out there, also: you get it, you
install it, it does *NOT* need all sorts of obscure configuration, browse
to port 10000, and it just works.

           mark