installing packages remotely without Yum

Laszlo Beres laszlo at beres.me
Mon Aug 2 19:57:18 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 9:36 PM, Yard, John <jyard at ais.ucla.edu> wrote:

> I am referring to groups of packages as referenced
> in anaconda or system-config-packages.

up2date has package group support: you can list them using
--show-groups option and install this way:

up2date -i "@GNOME"

> If you invoke system-config-pages and want to
> install the @ editors group , it asked you for the cd s ,
> which I have no access to. The system is 400 miles away.

That's because your system is not registered yet. Do it!

> I believe that to use rpm , I would need to know correctly
> the names of hundreds of rpm s , sounds extremely
> error prone ,

Not necessarily, up2date has --showall option, too, which displays all
available packages.

--
László Béres            Unix system engineer
http://www.google.com/profiles/beres.laszlo