label printer supported by cups on RHEL?

hike mh1272 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 13:18:40 UTC 2010

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 8:08 AM, <Phebe_Mertes at aotx.uscourts.gov> wrote:

> redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com wrote on 08/26/2010 10:20:40 PM:
>
> > From: Kenneth Kirchner <ken at kirchners.com>
> > To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list <redhat-list at redhat.com>
> > Date: 08/26/2010 10:25 PM
> > Subject: Re: label printer supported by cups on RHEL?
> > Sent by: redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com
> >

> > On Aug 26, 2010, at 6:10 PM, Furnish, Trever G wrote:
> >
> > > Can anyone recommend a good label printer that's compatible with RHEL
> > > (cups)?
> >
> > I have no first hand knowledge of how well they work, but it looks
> > like the Dymo brand of label writers are at least interested enough
> > in Linux to be working on drivers.  A quick Google of 'linux dymo"
> > returned quite a few links and even forums where people were
> > claiming success with getting cups to print to one.
> >
> > http://forums.linux-foundation.org/read.php?33,120
> >
> > I hope that is useful to you.
> >
> > -KK
>

> Read the helps section in CUPS, htmlview https://localhost:631
> there is a whole helps page on all the command line options you can use.
> The printer.conf file lets you list each printer the server will talk to.
> You can also get more print drivers
>
> The Hewlett-Packard Linux Imaging and Printing Project provides drivers for
> HP printers and multi-function peripherals.
> hplip-1.6.7-4.1.el5_2.4.x86_64.rpm

CUPS has a number of free drivers included in the package.
The publisher of CUPS sells drivers for some printers not included in the
free package.
The publisher can write/create drivers for specific printers.
You can write your own drivers.
Actually, I think they are called printer description files (or something
other then drivers).
In the old BSD days, writing a printer description was part of sysadmin
work.
I have written printer descriptions for xerox laser printers that were not
in the free package.
The biggest problem is finding the documentation--or enough so that you can
"trial and error" the printer to figure out what you need.
It can be interesting or tedious--regardless, it is good experience.