Dual homed server

Paul Crittenden paul.crittenden at simpson.edu
Wed Aug 4 16:08:25 UTC 2010

I have a server which has 2 nics and different IP addresses and different subnets for each nic.

When I first set up the server I gave each nic its own gateway but discovered a problem that the gateway for the second nic is used as the default route. If I was on the same subnet as each nic I could log in and work fine but no other subnets could reach the server. When I removed the gateway not all subnets can get to the server except for the one on the second nic.

I want each nic to have their own gateway and traffic, for each subnet to use the appropriate nic. I have tried setting routes, but the server says the gateway for the second nic is unreachable. I foubnd an article and an example of iproute2 but that did not work.

Any help would be appreciated.

Paul Crittenden
Computer Systems Manager
Simpson College
Indianola, Iowa
Direct: 515-961-1680 * optional:515-961-1681
www.simpson.edu<http://www.simpson.edu>