Using Centrify or Likewise for authenticating against AD

Mike Burger mburger at bubbanfriends.org
Fri Aug 6 15:00:46 UTC 2010

FWIW, I tried Likewise...my organization wound up just adding Kerberos to
AD, and using AD as a Kerberos authentication server.

The problem I had with Likewise was that any AD user could log into my
Linux and Unix servers with Likewise enabled...we didn't seem to be able
to restrict them.  Using AD auth via Kerberose meant that local
authorization was in play with remote authentication (if the account
doesn't exist on the box, they can not log in...period).

> Thanks for both the replies.
>
> I'm planning on testing Centrify Express in a couple of weeks. Found a
> site
> http://www.workswithu.com/2010/07/23/active-directory-integration-centrify-express-vs-likewise/
> that
> compares Centrify against Likewise, and they both seem like good
> alternatives, but I'm gonna start testing Centrify Express and then
> perhaps
> test Likewise.
>

> - Kenneth
>
> On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 6:48 PM, Ryan Vong <ryan.vong at centrify.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Kenneth,
>>
>> See if this helps http://www.centrify.com/express
>> It's a free tool from Centrify...comes with a mgmt utility that
>> automates
>> the discovery of the servers and installs the necessary bits to join
>> them to
>> AD.
>>

>> Cheers,
>> Ryan