Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2010 11:00:46 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Mike Burger" <mburger bubbanfriends org>
To: "General Red Hat Linux discussion list" <redhat-list redhat com>
Subject: Re: Using Centrify or Likewise for authenticating against AD
<54abd1dd3d896c0ec5f11d6f3962dc9e squirrel www bubbanfriends org>

FWIW, I tried Likewise...my organization wound up just adding Kerberos
AD, and using AD as a Kerberos authentication server.

The problem I had with Likewise was that any AD user could log into my
Linux and Unix servers with Likewise enabled...we didn't seem to be able
to restrict them.  Using AD auth via Kerberose meant that local
authorization was in play with remote authentication (if the account
doesn't exist on the box, they can not log in...period).

> Thanks for both the replies.
>
> I'm planning on testing Centrify Express in a couple of weeks. Found a
> site

http://www.workswithu.com/2010/07/23/active-directory-integration-centri
fy-express-vs-likewise/
> that
> compares Centrify against Likewise, and they both seem like good
> alternatives, but I'm gonna start testing Centrify Express and then
> perhaps
> test Likewise.
>

> - Kenneth
>
> On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 6:48 PM, Ryan Vong <ryan vong centrify com>
wrote:

>> Hi Kenneth,
>>
>> See if this helps http://www.centrify.com/express
>> It's a free tool from Centrify...comes with a mgmt utility that
>> automates
>> the discovery of the servers and installs the necessary bits to join
>> them to
>> AD.
>>

>> Cheers,
>> Ryan