Oracle 11g RAC install doubt

Geofrey Rainey Geofrey.Rainey at tvnz.co.nz
Sun Aug 15 22:42:16 UTC 2010

I'm pretty sure there are two types of software you need, 1) the
clusterware software, and 2) the database software - which includes
database & ASM because they're essentially the same thing - ASM is a
database.

You first install clusterware, then if you want an ASM database that
will be next - pretty sure the database install software asks you if
you'd like to install and setup an ASM database as part of your database
install.

VMWare is virtualisation software allowing you to run multiple virtual
machines on a single piece of hardware. Unless you're setting up a test
environment, don't run RAC on VMware in a production environment - each
of your Oracle RAC nodes must reside on a physical machine each.

Grid is just the term Oracle use to describe this type of cluster
database system.