Compile new kernel with same configuration

Romeo Theriault romeotheriault at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 12:51:10 UTC 2010

> I have found this ftp:
> ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/5Server/en/os/SRPMS/
>
> but when I install the .src.rpm package I found many .patch files, not the
> source code "as it".

It sounds like you're looking in the right place to get the kernel source.
It gets installed in /usr/src/redhat/.  If you type:

ls /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES | grep -v patch

you'll see that there is a linux-2.6.xx.tar.bz2 kernel. All those patches
are simply the redhat changes to the vanilla kernel. The rpmbuild process
will take care of all that for you.