CLI for serial number or tag for BIOS

mark m.roth at 5-cent.us
Thu Aug 19 11:52:25 UTC 2010

Priyadarshini wrote:
> what file or command can be used to get information that can represent
> unique ID for BIOS installed, it could be serial number or some tag or build
> id.
>
> I used "/usr/sbin/dmidecode | egrep -i 'BIOS Information' -A 20" command, it
> shows some information about BIOS but not any information that can be used
> as ID.
<snip>
I've used lshw, but we have a number of servers whose BIOS serial number
*literally* reads "to be filled in by the manufacturer"

	mark

--
Hon. Pres. Medvedev,

    If Russia still has labor camps in Siberia, might there be room in them for
a number of gentleman we have here, who have been working on Wall St.....