rc script not running at boot time

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Thu Aug 26 19:39:37 UTC 2010

Hugh E Cruickshank wrote:
> From: James D. Parra Sent: August 26, 2010 11:46
>>
>> However, upon reboot the service does not start.
>
> I have encounter the same problem and here is what I have done:
>
> 1. Add the following lines to the top of you script file:
>
>    # chkconfig:    235 99 01
>
> 2. Run chkconfig to "add" the script:
>
>    chkconfig  --add /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S50pgstartstop
>
> A Google search on chkconfig should supply you with the reasoning
> behind this (much more eloquently than I can).
>
> You might also want to add the following line to your script file:
>
>    touch /var/lock/subsys/S50pgstartstop
>
> IIRC this was required in order to the shutdown to work correctly.

This is all very odd. chkconfig, IIUC, merely creates the symbolic links
in /etc/rc.d/rc.[0-6] to /etc/init.d/<scriptname>. If there's already one
in /etc/rc.d/rc3.d that begins with an S, it should have been found by the
startup scripts.

Perhaps you could try chkconfig pgstartstop off, then on, and see if that
works.

I assume that you've checked /var/log/messages for anything occuring
during startup.

          mark
         mark