slightly OT: dban

David Bear David.Bear at asu.edu
Fri Aug 27 14:39:41 UTC 2010

if you can boot to a cdrom based linux distro you might just try something
like

dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/hda bs=1024

and see if it produces any errors. your disk may have some sector errors. If
it doesn't, the above command will write random bits all over the disk for
you wiping out whatever is there.

it may not pass DoD standards for a clean wipe -- but it would foil most if
they tried to read the drive.

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 7:19 AM, <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:

> I'm trying to nuke a Dell Optiplex GX620. I've got a perfectly good dban
> 1.0.4 that I've used a bunch of times... but on this machine, it says
> starting, then dies, saying "dban has finished with non-fatal errors.
> Check the log for more information" It never gets to the interactive menu.
>
> Now that I've disabled the non-existant floppy drive, at least it does say
> "to save the log file again, press enter"....
>
>    mark

David Bear
College of Public Programs at ASU
602-494-0424