Re: slightly OT: dban

if you can boot to a cdrom based linux distro you might just try something
like

dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/hda bs=1024

and see if it produces any errors. your disk may have some sector errors. If
it doesn't, the above command will write random bits all over the disk for
you wiping out whatever is there.

it may not pass DoD standards for a clean wipe -- but it would foil most if
they tried to read the drive.