fsck - and there was much rejoicing

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Thu Dec 2 17:34:44 UTC 2010

Matty Sarro wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 2:01 PM, <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
>
>> Looks like the fsck bug has been stomped! I did a 960G drive this
>> morning, and I'm 90% of the way through a 1.4T drive, both of which
have *lots*
>> of files and hard links, and it has *not* hung at 70.1%, and is running at
>> reasonable speed.
>>
>> Thanks to the folks who got this one. I *really* needed to do this, esp.
>> to our backup drives.

> Pardon my ignorance, but can you detail the bug a little more, or link to
> a bug report? I'm unafamiliar :)

Don't remember the bug report, but on large drives with a *lot* of files -
you know, the kind that you use to back up /home? - if you gave fsck a -C,
so you could see the progress, you knew that it got to, I forget if it was
70% or 70.1%, but at that point, it was dead. Never came back, even
leaving it overnight.

Interestingly enough, just today, there was a report of a bugfix for
e2fsprogs, and one of those may have sounded like it was related.

       mark