Kudzu removed from RHEL 6

Adam Miller maxamillion at fedoraproject.org
Thu Dec 2 20:28:02 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 02, 2010 at 08:11:40PM +0000, John Bolton wrote:
> Matty-
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> The problem with dmesg is the data is constantly being added and at some point, the oldest data is removed. This means that the detected hardware on boot may not be in dmesg if the system has been up for months or even a year.
>
> The data in interrupts and ioports doesn't compare with what was in hwconf. Hwconf had many more details.
>
> Do you happen to know why Kudzu was removed?
<SNIP>

If you follow the chronology of kudzu in Fedora land, kudzu was replaced
by HAL in Fedora 9 and HAL is in the process of being replaced. So I
assume HAL is what took over kudzu in the RHEL6 release.
Snippet of info here:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Features/NoMoreKudzu

I don't really know if there's anywhere else its written down in more
detail, so apologies for that.

I have also been told that dracut had a hand in it but I don't have any
concrete evidence as to that but I imagine it has to do with the quick pass
off of to real rootfs and reliance on udev/HAL, more information on
dracut can be found here ---> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Dracut

Hope this helps,
-AdamM