Disk mapping for oracle ASM (Matty Sarro)

Matty Sarro msarro at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 16:07:32 UTC 2010

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think you may be confusing the the
kernel library used to access the disks and the separate utilities used to
manage/configure the disks. They're separate things :) The management
utility marks the disks to be read/written to by the library, so it can die
and you should still have no problem accessing your data. Sort of like fdisk
could die, but you'd still be able to access your SATA and IDE drives
without any problem. It'd be easy to play with if you have a few minutes;
just kill the ASM service and see if your db dies or not :) I think you'll
be pleasantly surprised. Again, this is just with my cursory knowledge of
ASM so I could be wrong.
-Matty