up2date force option

Mertens, Bram mertensb at mazdaeur.com
Tue Dec 7 15:05:23 UTC 2010

Hi,

Our servers are being patched by our outsourcing partner using a tool called opsware.  This is as far as I'm being told and have observed basically a slightly modified version of up2date with its own repositories.

A while ago on a server that was patched at least one configuration file (/etc/logrotate.d/httpd) was replaced by the one in the RPM package.  I would have expected up2date to preserve the modified file and create a .rpmnew file.

In the logwatch output of another server I see that they use the force option to up2date.  The update directory contains kernel packages which are skipped by default so the use of the option itself makes sense.
I just want to double check - because I can't find details about the force option other than what the man page says - that the --force option changes RPM's default behaviour of how to treat files marked as configuration files or not.

So what does "override the file, package and configuration skip lists" mean exactly?
       -f, --force
              Force  package  installation.  This option is provided so
              that you can override the file, package and configuration
              skip lists.

pkgSkipList, fileSkipList and removeSkipList are options in /etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date.  I understood --force to ignore these lines.
However I cannot find a corresponding configuration skip list.

There is noReplaceConfig but the comment "When selected, no packages that would change configuration data are automatically installed" is not really clear to me.

Regards

Bram

Mazda Motor Logistics Europe NV, Blaasveldstraat 162, B-2830 Willebroek
VAT BE 0406.024.281, RPR Mechelen, ING  310-0092504-52, IBAN : BE64 3100 0925 0452, SWIFT : BBRUBEBB