redirect system console to serial port ttyS1 and default as well.

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 13:08:25 UTC 2010

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 2:55 PM, upen <upendra.gandhi at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is rhel 6 (santiago). As most of the configuration has been moved
> to /etc/init , I am wondering how this redirection is configured now.
>
> Earlier I did /etc/inittab, following lines,
>
> s1:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 115200 ttyS1 vt100
>
> that did it. Newer /etc/inititab does tell me that I need to work with
> /etc/init/serial.conf and /etc/init/tty.conf . So, how to do this?
>
> Is it possible to redirect to console to only ttyS1 atleast if not both?

I don't have RHEL 6 yet but in Fedora you have to create
"etc/init/ttyS1.conf" with the inittab command (from "/sbin" on)
unless the serial console is the primary boot console because, then,
"/etc/init/serial.conf" starts ttS* for you.

I must admit that the last time that I needed a serial console as a
primary boot console (with either F11 or F12), I deleted serial.conf
and created ttyS0.conf because I didn't want to have to deal with some
upstart elements in serial.conf that I didn't understand and didn't
want to understand (at the time; now I'll have to given that we'll be
eventually migrating all our boxes from 5 to 6).