redirect system console to serial port ttyS1 and default as well.

upen upendra.gandhi at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 17:25:49 UTC 2010

> I don't have RHEL 6 yet but in Fedora you have to create
> "etc/init/ttyS1.conf" with the inittab command (from "/sbin" on)
> unless the serial console is the primary boot console because, then,
> "/etc/init/serial.conf" starts ttS* for you.
>
> I must admit that the last time that I needed a serial console as a
> primary boot console (with either F11 or F12), I deleted serial.conf
> and created ttyS0.conf because I didn't want to have to deal with some
> upstart elements in serial.conf that I didn't understand and didn't
> want to understand (at the time; now I'll have to given that we'll be
> eventually migrating all our boxes from 5 to 6).

Thanks Tom. I will give it this a try. I did try one thing before I
see your reply. Edited /etc/grub.conf and added
console=ttyS1,57600n8 infront of kernel line. This made the console
o/p redirected to ttyS1. Then I connected through IPMI SOL to see if
it works. Not only that it showed kernel uncompressed but also the
init process and login prompt which I generally see KVM console. I
also have KVM over IP which this time did not show the redline which
shows the progress of boot process but did show login prompt like
ttyS1

I am glad to see that console got redirected by doing just this ..:) I
will see if there is any drawback doing like this.

Thanks.