Is RHEL ES5 really users older versions of Apache and PHP compared to FC7?

Rob Tanner rtanner at linfield.edu
Tue Feb 23 18:39:58 UTC 2010

Hi,

We¹ve been running out web server on FC7 since FC7 was the current Fedora
release.  We are replacing the old server with a brand new box on which I
just installed RHEL ES5.  When I compared PHP and Apache versions I was a
bit surprised.

Packages on FC7 are: httpd-2.2.8-1.fc7 and php-5.2.6-2.fc7
Packages on ES5 are: httpd-2.2.3-31.el5_4.2 and php-5.1.6-24.el5_4.5

It looks like the old Fedora Core distro included much more recent versions
of Apache and PHP than does the current Redhat distro.  Both systems are up
to date.

Can anyone explain that?

Thanks,
Rob