Best method for server cloning

Mike Burger mburger at bubbanfriends.org
Mon Feb 1 19:02:32 UTC 2010

> Check again.
>
> Gparted has LVM2 support since February 2009, AFAIK.
>
> GM
>
> Mike Burger wrote:
>>> I use GParted to clone partitions (and thus entire servers):
>>> http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/index.shtml
>>>
>>> As a sysadmin, I normally have a copy of the SystemRescueCD
>>> (http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page) which includes Gparted amongst
>>> other useful tools.
>>>
>>> GM

>> Last I checked, gparted didn't deal well with LVM, though.

If that's the case, then both the documentation as well as Knoppix may
need to be updated.  Specific to the documentation, the manual, located
at:

http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/manual/parted.pdf

Reads thusly on the 10th page:

2.4.7 mkpart
mkpart [part-type fs-type name] start end [Command]
Creates a new partition, without creating a new file system on that
partition. This is useful for creating partitions for file systems (or
LVM, etc.) that Parted doesn’t support.

So, either parted does not, yet, support LVM, or the documentation is in
error.

This is an exercise I'll leave to the reader.
--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS