HW to clone a sata disk

urgrue urgrue at bulbous.org
Mon Feb 15 08:46:32 UTC 2010

Hi,
So, you have a internal SATA disk, and you want to make a backup that
you can use in case it breaks?
First of all, on the hardware, the simplest would be to buy a SATA disk
just like your internal one. Pay attention: there are thicker ones and
thinner ones, and some laptops only fit the thinner one. To be on the
safe side buy a thin one.
Then buy a external HDD enclosure and put the new disk in that. This
allows you to connect it with USB. Like these:
http://www.slipperybrick.com/2007/09/enermax-puts-jazz-into-external-hdd-enclosures/
This way it's easy to remove the disk from the enclosure and put it in
your laptop if the original disk breaks.
(You could maybe also boot straight off the USB disk, but then you would
have to change BIOS settings and maybe also reconfigure grub, and it
sounds like you want a easy solution).

The easiest and safest way (that I know of) to clone the disk is to
download "gparted live". you can put it on a CD or USB stick and boot
from it, boot your laptop from it, and very easily copy your whole
laptop disk to the USB drive.

You can either do that "once in a while" to refresh the backup, or, you
can connect the USB disk to your laptop and use a tool like rsync to
update the backup.

There are also many backup solutions for linux that might make all this
much easier, but I don't have much experience with them.

If your backup disk is bigger than the source, you can even make another
partition on the remaining free space and use that for general storage.

I hope this helps,
urgrue