Cannot find or start inetd(or xinetd) service on Enterprise 5.1

Mike Hanby mhanby at uab.edu
Wed Feb 17 22:53:13 UTC 2010

Once you get it installed you can check the xinetd managed services using:

/sbin/chkconfig --list

At the bottom of the output you'll see "xinetd based services" with a list of "on" or "off". Make sure only those that you need enabled are listed as "on".

Normally, this is controlled in individual files under /etc/xinetd.d/
Edit the file in question and change:
disable                 = yes

disable                 = no

to allow xinetd to start the service