Cannot find or start inetd(or xinetd) service on Enterprise 5.1

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Thu Feb 18 17:45:28 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-02-17 at 16:53 -0600, Mike Hanby wrote:
> Once you get it installed you can check the xinetd managed services using:
>
> /sbin/chkconfig --list
>
> At the bottom of the output you'll see "xinetd based services" with a list of "on" or "off". Make sure only those that you need enabled are listed as "on".
>
> Normally, this is controlled in individual files under /etc/xinetd.d/
> Edit the file in question and change:
> disable                 = yes

> disable                 = no
>
> to allow xinetd to start the service

I think you should be able to run 'chkconfig <service> on' for xinetd
services and that change will be made automatically.

> Mike

IIRC, xinetd isn't installed by default if you don't install a service
that requires it.  Services that require it that are packaged by RH
should pull it in, I believe.

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences