System crash

Phebe_Mertes at aotx.uscourts.gov Phebe_Mertes at aotx.uscourts.gov
Thu Feb 25 14:41:19 UTC 2010

Hi Cliff
usually an update crash suggests there is a package that removed a library,
overwrote a config file, or generally messed something up. I would
investigate what the 'update' did with a rpm -qa --last | more  and see
what packages were in the update. Review what those rpms did in hopes one
points to doing something with your X client or your pam auth.

You said you can TTY, do you mean ssh? If you ssh into the box it creates
an authorization key which sets that user up to be recognized again. That
should help with authentication issues. Also, has anything changed with
your X client on your desktop? I log into many other machines to work with
a java gui that requires Xming. If I just putty to the machine, the default
doesn't have X11 forwarding turned on and then the gui won't come up. I
have since gone and made the default always have this on.

And what do your /var/log/messages and secure logs say? Any hints to what
is not launching or working?

Phebe Mertes
Lotus Notes sucks