any place to see all rpms that come with RHEL?

Paul jpb at entel.ca
Thu Feb 25 22:36:13 UTC 2010

You have to tell us what you are trying to accomplish, otherwise we are
not going to be able to help you.

If you want to know all of the packages RHEL5 contains, that is simple,
it's in the errata. You can get that from having an eval subscription,
but you can also get it right off the ISO. You are going to be forever
going through the errata if you don't know what you want though. If you
know what package(s) you are looking for, give us those package names or
use rpmfind.

Another thing you can do is check out the CentOS mirrors, as CentOS is a
clone of RHEL and is usually not far behind them in releases.

http://mirror.centos.org/centos/5/updates/i386/repodata/

I warn you, the main XML file list alone, gzipped, is 2.1MB, and not fun
to search through. You could try opening the sqlite file.

If you are trying to sell RHEL to a customer, you should have this sort
of thing prepared before you even go into the meeting. I always keep
ISOs of the latest stable versions so I can look this kind of thing up
for myself. If you really want to do your homework, keep a local copy of
the entire manpages library on your laptop (even a Windoze machine can
do that).

I can almost guarantee that if your potential client is looking for a
very recent version of almost anything, it's not going to be in RHEL 5.
RedHat is about stability. I had to use Fedora (never again!) to give a
client the versions of PHP5, GD and ImageMagick he wanted, because his
'amazing uber bleeding edge deveoper' (his 17 year old nephew who was
experimenting with more than just the latest PHP extensions) required
them for website features. If a client is demanding bleeding edge stuff,
be very wary of taking them on, because they will cause you grief beyond
the value of the contract 9 times out of 10.

Cheers,

- Paul