installing new packages on 64 bit RHE 5.4

Jose R R jose.r.r at metztli.com
Sun Jan 3 00:03:11 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 2:46 PM, <eee at nmt.edu> wrote:

> a search of RHN for the packages came up empty.  Running a Google search,
> I found some Debian IA64 packages.  Will they work?  I'm hesitant to mix
> Linux versions...
>
> Earl
>
> > using google you should be able to track down copies of these libraries
> > but
> >
> > if Dropbox is 32 bit, you will need libraries built to run on the 64bit
> > box
> > that are meant for 32 bit applications. RHN provides i386 libraries in
> > their x86_64 channel
> >
> > unless you ask for the query format, an rpm -qa after installation only
> > shows the name and version, not the architecture.
> >
> > rpm -qa --queryformat "%{NAME}, %{VERSION}, %{RELEASE}, %{ARCH}\n" | grep
> > rpmname
> >
> > or an   rpm -qi of the installed package can also show the architecture
> >

> >   From:       eee at nmt.edu
> >
> >   To:         redhat-list at redhat.com
> >
> >   Date:       01/02/2010 02:39 PM
> >
> >   Subject:    installing new packages on 64 bit RHE 5.4
> >
> >   Sent by:    redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com
> >

> > I'm trying to install Dropbox on my system.  Since Dropbox does not have
> > an RPM for 64 bit RHE, I'm installing from the source code. Dropbox
> > requires both
> > libnautilus-extension-dev
> > libnotify-dev
> > Neither is installed and a search in package manager comes up empty.  How
> > do I find them?
> >
> > Earl
>
> If as pointed out above, DropBox is an 32-bit application, you will need to
install the equivalent of Debian ia32-libs package for 64-bit architecture.
I have collected a list for Fedora 9 and above that may help you, or at
least provide some insight into 64-bit RHEL.  Please see the blog entry:

http://www.metztli-it.com/blog/blog12.php/2009/05/09/providing-32-bit-application-support-und

that list collection is based on the ia32-libs package for 64-bit Debian.

I was not aware that 64-bit architecture Red Hat EL (or CentOS) had issues
with running 32-bit apps and thought that it was an issue specific to
unsupported Fedora distributions.

Good luck!

--
Jose R R