One silly chmod question

Mike Burger mburger at bubbanfriends.org
Thu Jan 14 20:54:34 UTC 2010

> Hi all for your answers,
>
> I´m going to tell you why I´m trying to do that. it´s more complicated that
> the use of chmod,  but it is the begining ot the problem,
>
> I have a webserver with the user apache being the owner of all under
/opt/www/.

> Well, this user hasn´t a shell (it´s is /sbin/nologin) so I can´t
connect
> with this user.
> So I use another user that makes the upgrades of my application and web
pages, (I use rsync to make this upgrades). The problem is that with
this
> user I can´t change the permission to the files.
>
> One more thing, when I update one file, it changes the owner and group
of
> the file to the user that I use to connect.
>
> I use this:
> rsync -azv -e 'ssh ' --delete /locatpatch/* user2 at server:/opt/www/
>
> perhaps it´s a problem with what I want to do (I know, that I can dive
shell
> access to the apache user and do all with it, but I prefer not to grant
that
> permissions to this user)
>
> any idea?

Sure..."sudo su apache -c "chmod 770 /path/to/file"

Leaving the "-" absent from between "su" and "apache" will cause it to not
try to invoke a shell, but use your shell, instead.

> 2010/1/14 <m.roth at 5-cent.us>
>
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I have a problem changing permissions to some files using chmod and
>> now I
>> > have a doubt about the owner and group of a file,
>> >
>> > I´ll try to explain.
>> >
>> > I have 2 users, user1 and user2, both belongs to group1.
>> >
>> > I have a file with this permissions:
>> > -rwxrwxrwx 1 user1 group1 file.txt
>> >
>> > with user2 I can read, write this file. but If I try to change the
permissions with this:
>> > chmod 770 file.txt I get the error:
>> > operation not permitted,
>> >
>> > so my doubt is, only the owner can change the permissions to a file?
>> Think about the *meaning* of what you tried to do: you, as a member of the
>> group, but not as the owner, are trying to make it so that the owner
cannot even look at the file, not execute, not write, not even read.
Does
>> that make sense?
>>        mark
>> --