best way to make a full backup of a system

Bohdan Sydor bohdan at harazd.net
Thu Jan 21 11:33:44 UTC 2010

> On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 3:41 PM, ESGLinux <esggrupos at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have just installed and configured a RHEL Server and now that this work
>> is
>> finished I want to make a complete backup of it. The goal is that if it
>> breaks I can recover it as quick as possible.

Hi,

I'd recommend two possibilities: to create a bootable image or to
prepare a kickstart file.

1. To create a disaster recovery image you can use mkCDrec:
http://mkcdrec.ota.be/ --- simply by using the make command, you create
a bootable CD/DVD in order to restore the system on another machine.

2. To prepare a kickstart file it takes more time, but it is very
flexible and powerful solution. You can provide non-interactive
installation and configuration with this mechanism. See RH Installation
Guide for details:
http://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5.4/pdf/Installation_Guide.pdf

Regards

--