best way to make a full backup of a system

ESGLinux esggrupos at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 13:21:19 UTC 2010

2010/1/21 Bohdan Sydor <bohdan at harazd.net>

> > On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 3:41 PM, ESGLinux <esggrupos at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I have just installed and configured a RHEL Server and now that this
> work
> >> is
> >> finished I want to make a complete backup of it. The goal is that if it
> >> breaks I can recover it as quick as possible.
>
> Hi,
>
> I'd recommend two possibilities: to create a bootable image or to
> prepare a kickstart file.
>
> 1. To create a disaster recovery image you can use mkCDrec:
> http://mkcdrec.ota.be/ --- simply by using the make command, you create
> a bootable CD/DVD in order to restore the system on another machine.

this looks great:

"kCDrec makes a bootable (El Torito) disaster recovery image (CDrec.iso),
including backups of the linux system to the same CD-ROM (or CD-RW) if space
permits, or to a multi-volume CD-ROM set. Otherwise, the backups can be
stored on another local disk, NFS disk or (remote) tape.
After a disaster (disk crash or system intrusion) the system can be booted
from the CD-ROM and one can restore the complete system as it was (at the
time mkCDrec was run)"

I think this is exactly what I´m looking for