yum and "rpm -U" not working

George Magklaras georgios at biotek.uio.no
Thu Jan 21 19:12:17 UTC 2010

Do a dmesg as root and try to see if you have any filesystem issues
first. Then it's good to see if you have too many things and /var might
be out of space.

GM

Margaret Doll wrote:

>> <snip>
>>> The kernel on which the system is running is xen, but the problem with
>>> rpm and yum still exists.
>>
>> Ok, so is there anything in the yum.log, from when it failed? Have you
>> tried rpm -Uvh xterm, to see if it said anything? Oh - and try rpm
>> -Uvvh -
>> I thought I remembered this, and yep, the man page sayeth "Print lots of
>> ugly debugging information".
>>
>> Let us know what happens if you try that.
>>
>>         mark
>
> Thanks, Mark and Gabi,
>
>     rpm -Uvvh xterm*rpm
>
> ends with
>
> D: opening  db index       /var/lib/rpm/Packages create mode=0x42
> D: mounted filesystems:
> D:     i        dev    bsize       bavail       iavail mount point
>
> We are also having problems with df working completely.  df also hangs
> after reporting most of the volumes that are mounted.   We thought the
> problems were unrelated.  Perhaps a reboot will help.
>

>> --

George Magklaras BSc Hons MPhil
RHCE:805008309135525

Senior Computer Systems Engineer/UNIX-Linux Systems Administrator
EMBnet Technical Management Board
The Biotechnology Centre of Oslo,
University of Oslo
http://folk.uio.no/georgios